Booth Faculty Librarians will offer thesis research instruction during three seminars in November.
Thesis Research 101, taught by faculty librarians Steve Brantley, Kirstin Duffin and Ellen Corrigan, consist of a series of three 50 minute seminars covering different aspects of researching and preparing your thesis.
Seminar 1: Researching the literature, presented by Steve Brantley will cover the following topics:
- What are your options for online research destinations?
- How do you know when you have done enough research?
- How can you identify the key journals and most relevant databases in your field?
- What is controlled vocabulary and how can its effective use benefit my research?
- What is Open Access and Open Research?
Seminar 1 will take place Wednesday, November 1, 7:00-7:50 pm, and will be repeated on Thursday, November 2, 10:00-10:50 am. Both sessions will be in Booth Library rm. 4450 (4th floor).
Register here: booth.eiu.edu/thesisreg
Seminar 2: Organizing your references using citation management software presented by Kirstin Duffin will help you:
- Save your sources to one convenient location and access via the cloud
- Create formatted citations and your reference section in seconds (really!)
- Understand the software options and features in Mendeley and Zotero
- Export citation information using library databases
Seminar 2 will take place the following week on Wednesday, November 8, 7:00-7:50 pm and will be repeated Thursday, November 9, 10:00-10:50 am. Both sessions will be in Booth Library rm. 4450 (4th floor). (booth.eiu.edu/thesisreg)
Seminar 3: Presenting your thesis (to the world) presented by Ellen Corrigan will answer the questions:
- What happens to your thesis after you submit it?
- How can I avoid common pitfalls when preparing my thesis?
- How can I optimize discovery of my thesis with metadata?
Seminar three will take place on Wednesday, November 15, 7:00-7:50 pm in rm 4450 in Booth Library and then be repeated Thursday, November 16, 10:00-10:50 am in Booth Library rm. 4440.
Registration is required: booth.eiu.edu/thesisreg