Reference librarians can...
- provide advice on research techniques or strategies
- create guides to library resources by broad subject area or focused topics
- teach classes in research skills, often referred to as "information literacy"
- answer questions in person, by email, phone, and chat
- provide research consultations by appointment
- collaborate with faculty to design effective assignments
- give presentations on specific resources to help faculty and students get the most out of our collections
Working on a graduate thesis?
Our reference collection contains books on all subjects.
Reference books, such as encyclopedias, dictionaries, bibliographies, directories, thesauri, almanacs and statistical compendia are those materials that are most frequently consulted as sources of information or as guides to other resources.
Some high-use reference books are kept at the Reference Desk. You need your panthercard to use these materials.
The library purchases access rights to 100+ online databases providing you with high quality and scholarly information in all subjects.
There are 44 computers available in the Reference room for use in accessing the library databases and any resources linked from the library webpages including the EIU Online Catalog.
You may print an unlimited amount from these computers free of charge.
All library resources are available from any computer with an internet connection.
email@example.com | 217-581-7547 | 3505 Booth Library | Selected Works
firstname.lastname@example.org | 217-581-7542 | 3501 Booth Library | Selected Works
Ballenger Teachers Center - Reference Services
email@example.com | 217-581-6099 | 1224 Booth Library | Selected Works
firstname.lastname@example.org | 217-581-5090 | 1513 Booth Library | Selected Works
email@example.com | 217-581-7550 | 3513 Booth Library | Selected Works
firstname.lastname@example.org | 217-581-7548 | 3509 Booth Library | Selected Works